Debian packaging for beta 2

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Tue Oct 11 19:41:54 BST 2011

On Monday 10 October 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Okay, getting marble out of komain means making plugins out of the rdf
> data, and to do that properly, I need to do some really invasive surgery.
> I want to propose that for 2.4, I remove the marble dependency in komain
> completely and after 2.4 finish my rdf extraction patch.
>
> The consequence is no maps in the location semantic item. Any objections?
Not really objections but some thoughts. We have two problems, a short term
one (we can't easily move marble dependency in a plugin) and a long term one
(adding new dependency to the libs). I will give my thought on each.

== we can't easily move marble dependency in a plugin for 2.4

So the choice seems to be between remove the support for map or depend on
marble for 2.4. So we need to consider what is better for users, map support
or no dependency on marble ? I tend to lean that the first one is better, and
anyway it is an optional dependency.

== adding new dependency to the libs

I think we should set as a golden rule "no new external dependency in kolibs,
unless agreed on the lists, but it is highly recommended to make sure that
external dependencies are put into a plugin.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott