Debian packaging for beta 2

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Oct 11 20:02:12 BST 2011

On 11 October 2011 20:41, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> Okay, getting marble out of komain means making plugins out of the rdf
>> data, and to do that properly, I need to do some really invasive surgery.
>> I want to propose that for 2.4, I remove the marble dependency in komain
>> completely and after 2.4 finish my rdf extraction patch.
>>
>> The consequence is no maps in the location semantic item. Any objections?
> Not really objections but some thoughts. We have two problems, a short term
> one (we can't easily move marble dependency in a plugin) and a long term one
> (adding new dependency to the libs). I will give my thought on each.
>
> == we can't easily move marble dependency in a plugin for 2.4
>
> So the choice seems to be between remove the support for map or depend on
> marble for 2.4. So we need to consider what is better for users, map support
> or no dependency on marble ? I tend to lean that the first one is better, and
> anyway it is an optional dependency.

+1 for the former, this will justify our to recommendations to split
marble dependencies to plugins in areas like KoReports and Kexi, show
the trend in what we expect.

> == adding new dependency to the libs
>
> I think we should set as a golden rule "no new external dependency in kolibs,
> unless agreed on the lists, but it is highly recommended to make sure that
> external dependencies are put into a plugin.

+1, have it all as light as possible, I think how Qt has light
dependencies and modularity.

Yesterday I thought about a simple script for documenting dependencies
based on ldd and/or related tools, which can be also run as a checker
but packagers. Useful for automating some processes. (perhaps there's
already one, I am not sure)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek