results from

Uzak Matus matus.uzak at ixonos.com
Tue Nov 22 10:15:19 GMT 2011

Hi,

I discussed the name a bit with friends of mine.  And the outcome is:  Why to reinvent the name for a spreadsheet  application?  It's simply "spreadsheet".  It's a common term that almost any of the potential users out there understands.  Do we care that some other office suite is using the same name ("spreadsheet") for it's spreadsheet application?  It's a part of Calligra => Calligra Spreadsheet(s).

In contrast, what does a user associates with an application named {tables, abakus, numbers, sheets, .., }?  I admit there are relations with a spreadsheet application, but very weak (yes there are tables in a spreadsheet).  And I don't think many people, especially people under 30 have an idea what is/was an abacus? :)

Any search with the "spreadsheet" keyword gives an expected result: "A spreadsheet is a computer application that simulates a paper accounting worksheet".   A search with the "spreadsheet application" keyword results in a reference to a wiki page containing a list of spreadsheet applications:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spreadsheet_software

br,

-matus

--