results from

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue Nov 22 03:52:26 GMT 2011

Some more naming branstorm;

=== Background ===

I think at the beginning there is a question. In the case of
OpenOffice.org it was probably something like "What you do with it"?
* You write something together => Writer
* You calculate something together => Calc
* You try to impress people => Impress

In the case of Calligra the question back then was probably "What do you
produce with it?"
* put together some words in a document => Words
* put together some tables in a book => Tables
* put together a stage for presentations => Stage

If we think Tables does not match then maybe the answer to the question
was just not good enough? I mean do you really put together tables?
Maybe not. Maybe it's more about calculations, formulas and numeric stuff?

=== Brainstorm ===

So, what is Tables for?
* To compute something
* To sum something up
* To calculate something together
* To do number work
* To use formulas
* To produce arithmetic results
* To estimate/charge/invoice
* to reckon something out
* to add something together
* to count something up

=== Suggestions ===

That brings me to following list of names;
* Calligra Compute
* Calligra Sum
* Calligra Calc (nobody says we cannot use the same common name a
competitors is using already - compare here with Word vs Words)
* Calligra Number
* Calligra Reckon
* Calligra Formula (maybe not really a good choice cause it may overlap
with KFormula but on the other hand...)
* Calligra Arithmetic
* Calligra Count