results from

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Nov 22 10:26:29 GMT 2011

On 22 November 2011 11:15, Uzak Matus <matus.uzak at ixonos.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discussed the name a bit with friends of mine.  And the outcome is:  Why
> to reinvent the name for a spreadsheet  application?  It's simply
> "spreadsheet".  It's a common term that almost any of the potential users
> out there understands.  Do we care that some other office suite is using the
> same name ("spreadsheet") for it's spreadsheet application?  It's a part of
> Calligra => Calligra Spreadsheet(s).

We may care about the same as beofre: not to have this sentence in a  handbook:
"To open a spreadsheet in Spreadsheet:
1. Click Open button
2. Select spreadsheet document from the list
3. Click "Open".
"

Another example for "save as" filters combo box there would be items like:
* LibreOffice Spreadsheet
* Calligra Spreadsheet Spreadsheet

Bam! <head explodes>

> In contrast, what does a user associates with an application named {tables,
> abakus, numbers, sheets, .., }?  I admit there are relations with a
> spreadsheet application, but very weak (yes there are tables in a
> spreadsheet).  And I don't think many people, especially people under 30
> have an idea what is/was an abacus? :)

Abacus, like Plan and Stage etc. are all in english language so this
is not a point.
Distinct name is the point we want. Excel has not meaning to many
non-English speaking users but it's distinctive.
Good consistency would be a plus but not a the cost of confusion that
I mentioned in examples above.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek