results from

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Nov 21 14:20:13 GMT 2011

On 21 November 2011 14:58, Sebastian Sauer <mail at dipe.org> wrote:

>>> an absolute no-go for me. How would we feel if some other project was
>>> developping an application suite with:
>>> YetAnotherApplicationSuite Words: text processor
>>> YAAS Stage: presentation
>>> YAAS Kexi: DB
>>> YAAS Krita: painting
>>>
>>> Don't do others what you wouldn't want to be done to you.
>>>
>>> My 2 cts,
>>>
>>> PierreSt
>>
>> except that that other Abacus has been dead for 14 years or so
>
> 1) It's in the openSuse and Ubuntu repos.
> 2) The last change in the changelog at
> http://pkgs.org/opensuse-11.4/opensuse-contrib-i586/xabacus-7.4.1-1.2.i586.rpm.html
> is from 2008 what makes it 3 years old and not 14.
> 3) The last change in the changelog at
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xabacus/+changelog is from 2011 what
> means it's still activly developed.

Please read what I've done for you: free research :) What you write is
a game - not in conflict more than the Words app from 2008 is with
Calligra Words.
What I wrote is Abacus THE spreadsheet that is dead. I have no problem
with games called kexi and there actually are such games IIRC :)

As for Calligra prefix good that you mention this. That's nonsense to
expect we'll ever see it used _each_ time people refer to the app. Or
in a handbook even or in the GUI. People will use Krita, Kexi and so
on for obvious reason, the same they use Photoshop, Excel and so on.
So there's requirement to have name that is distinct enough when used
alone. Just like Corolla is recognizable without Toyota prefix. Toyota
Car is not.

All these reasons sum up to the core problem of Tables name but we did
not know all this for sure year ago.

> In any case I think that are exactly the reasons why we should have a
> discussion at the mailinglist before.

Exactly, so we do ^
People are not activated more in the topic, that's also good thing.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek