Announcement for snapshot 2

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sun Jun 12 18:53:06 BST 2011

As discussed I propose to have the text splitted for end user and
powerusers/developers.
The text below is user friendly already, some parts could  be moved to
developer section.

I am also calling to have one term for our releases: call it snapshots
or alpha. I am voting for alpha.
For now we use 'alpha' term in about box and versining and 'snapshots'
in announcements. Let's have it simple!

On 12 June 2011 02:08, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
> Here is the kind of text I would like (sorry for almost writing it completely
> for "my" area):
>
> For the first snapshot we introduced a new engine to create the text layout.
> This happened only days before the first snapshot, and since then we have
> worked hard to remove as many bugs and making the text layout in general look
> more correct is so many ways that it is impossible to list them all. So just
> try out your favorite text documents, be it .odt, .doc or .docx format, and
> you will see how much closer we have come to perfect display. One improvement
> that will be very noticeable is how much better we handle anchored and inline
> images.
>
> The .doc and .docx file formats are handled by small programs (that we call
> filters), which essentially takes a .doc or .docx file and convert it into an
> .odt file. From then on it's handled just as any other .odt file. From this you
> can see that .doc and .docx files both benefit from improvements in the text
> layout, but also from improvements in the filters. And we are happy to say that
> once again our .doc and .docx filters have improved. For .docx we are far
> better than say LibreOffice already, and for .doc we are getting very close to
> being the best out there too.
>
> Words itself has improved a bit in the user interface department, and our
> focus now shift even more towards improving the user interface for the third
> snapshot. But already now you will find that we have better feedback of
> progress during loading. Also the page and line numbers in the the status bar
> at the bottom of the window now serves the double role of allowing you to go
> to a specific page.
>
> As a teaser we can tell you that insertion of table of contents will be in the
> third snapshot, and it will always be up to date (this is a first in the world
> of word processing as far as we are a aware), so no longer any need to
> manually remember to update it when you make changes to your document. We
> may also have section columns in the next snapshot. These teasers are more to
> show you that if we are looking at such advance features now, it just means
> that the snapshot 2 we are announcing today is actually quite good if we
> should say so ourselves.
>
> There has also been some great work done in making sure that we save the same
> odt that we load without loss of information, when obviously not actively
> modified by the user. This is technically known as round-tripping and is not
> complete yet, but we can for sure say we have improved and our work has also
> pinpointed the problematic areas, so expect to see further improvements moving
> towards snapshot 3.
>

> On Saturday 11 June 2011 23:30:33 Inge Wallin wrote:
>> As far as I know, Cyrille has tagged snapshot 2 now.  At least he updated
>> the version to 2.3.72.
>>
>> This means that the release is imminent, and it's time for me to write a
> [...]

regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
 Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
 KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)