Announcement for snapshot 2

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Sun Jun 12 01:08:57 BST 2011

Here is the kind of text I would like (sorry for almost writing it completely
for "my" area):

For the first snapshot we introduced a new engine to create the text layout.
This happened only days before the first snapshot, and since then we have
worked hard to remove as many bugs and making the text layout in general look
more correct is so many ways that it is impossible to list them all. So just
try out your favorite text documents, be it .odt, .doc or .docx format, and
you will see how much closer we have come to perfect display. One improvement
that will be very noticeable is how much better we handle anchored and inline
images.

The .doc and .docx file formats are handled by small programs (that we call
filters), which essentially takes a .doc or .docx file and convert it into an
.odt file. From then on it's handled just as any other .odt file. From this you
can see that .doc and .docx files both benefit from improvements in the text
layout, but also from improvements in the filters. And we are happy to say that
once again our .doc and .docx filters have improved. For .docx we are far
better than say LibreOffice already, and for .doc we are getting very close to
being the best out there too.

Words itself has improved a bit in the user interface department, and our
focus now shift even more towards improving the user interface for the third
snapshot. But already now you will find that we have better feedback of
progress during loading. Also the page and line numbers in the the status bar
at the bottom of the window now serves the double role of allowing you to go
to a specific page.

As a teaser we can tell you that insertion of table of contents will be in the
third snapshot, and it will always be up to date (this is a first in the world
of word processing as far as we are a aware), so no longer any need to
manually remember to update it when you make changes to your document. We
may also have section columns in the next snapshot. These teasers are more to
show you that if we are looking at such advance features now, it just means
that the snapshot 2 we are announcing today is actually quite good if we
should say so ourselves.

There has also been some great work done in making sure that we save the same
odt that we load without loss of information, when obviously not actively
modified by the user. This is technically known as round-tripping and is not
complete yet, but we can for sure say we have improved and our work has also
pinpointed the problematic areas, so expect to see further improvements moving
towards snapshot 3.