In Calligra Words switch to raster graphicssystem per default

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Tue Jan 18 22:27:05 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 18 January 2011 09:36:52 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2011, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > please find attached a patch that makes sure Calligra Words uses the
> > raster graphicssystem per default rather then the native one. This
> > provides way better performance while dealing with documents compared to
> > the native XRender backend cause of
> > http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-16629 .
> >
> > What do you think? Good idea or to much of a hack?
>
> It's a hack, of course :-). I am wondering whether it's worth it to do this
> all over KOffice -- and whether there's a way to actually measure the
> improvement.
>
> Since raster is default on Windows (and maybe also OS X, though I thought
> that Trolltech wanted to go with OpenGL there), it should be completely
> safe.
As far as I remember, Trolltech plan to switch to raster as default backend for
Qt 4.8.
So I agree with this plan.
I'm only wondering about its effects on remote X connections. Of course, it's
not that important for our use case (I mean, when I log on a remote computer,
it's seldomly for word processing), but it may sometimes happen.