Merge request of new tool docker

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 4 23:02:03 GMT 2011

> On Tuesday 04 January 2011 21:20:58 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > This is the first time I can look at a calligra feature I helped shape
> > from the early concept stage, so it's exciting to see it in action and
> > discuss it
> >
> > :)
> > :
> > > Found three other issues:
> > > * if you close the tool docker, there is no way to get it back (short
> > > of restarting the application)
> >
> > This definitely needs to be fixed. There should be a menu entry to show
> > it again.
>
> I've made it not closable instead - like the tool box

Oh, yes, even better ;)

> > > * if there is only one tool widget, it should not show the lock/tab
> > > button, and only show tool options, no group widget
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea.
>
> I'm not so sure. The docker is the container for various tool options. If
> the ability to switch mode depends on what tool is active, then the user
> will have to activate the right tool in order to unlock the docker. I
> think the user will get quite confused, and think the unlock is suddenly
> missing.

Oh, yes, true. I got confused here. Thought there were whole applications that
only used one-widget-tools, but that's not the case of course. I agree that
the behavior should not change between tools. But there still should not be
two titles if there is only one group. And the tab switch does not make sense
either, so it might be disabled (would be less "jumpy" then showing/hiding
it). But the lock switch should stay.

> > > * File > close --> you get a "tool docker"
> > >
> > > I am a bit uncovinced by the so call "tool bar docker", I understand
> > > the idea, but then I would suggest to not give the choice to the user
> > > and to always have it, make it movable and use a single line.
> > > Right now it feels unnatural.
> >
> > I agree. It should behave as much like other dockers as possible.
> > Especially making it movable would be important for users who want to
> > save vertical space and put it with other dockers next to the document.
> > As for the number of lines: Couldn't it be made like the tools docker
> > (i.e. it arranges the icons depending on the amount of
> > horizontal/vertical space given)?
> > Having it occupy two lines even when spread out over the whole width
> > isn't good, that's for sure.
> > Making it work like a normal docker would allow for maximum layout
> > flexibility, which would be great.
>
> Sure but what should the name be?

Ah, yes, the titles... Why not Toolbar?