Merge request of new tool docker

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Tue Jan 4 20:28:46 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 21:20:58 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> This is the first time I can look at a calligra feature I helped shape from
> the early concept stage, so it's exciting to see it in action and discuss
> it
>
> :)
> :
> > Found three other issues:
> > * if you close the tool docker, there is no way to get it back (short of
> > restarting the application)
>
> This definitely needs to be fixed. There should be a menu entry to show it
> again.
I've made it not closable instead - like the tool box

> > * if there is only one tool widget, it should not show the lock/tab
> > button, and only show tool options, no group widget
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
I'm not so sure. The docker is the container for various tool options. If the
ability to switch mode depends on what tool is active, then the user will have
to activate the right tool in order to unlock the docker. I think the user
will get quite confused, and think the unlock is suddenly missing.

> > * File > close --> you get a "tool docker"
> >
> > I am a bit uncovinced by the so call "tool bar docker", I understand the
> > idea, but then I would suggest to not give the choice to the user and to
> > always have it, make it movable and use a single line.
> > Right now it feels unnatural.
>
> I agree. It should behave as much like other dockers as possible.
> Especially making it movable would be important for users who want to save
> vertical space and put it with other dockers next to the document.
> As for the number of lines: Couldn't it be made like the tools docker (i.e.
> it arranges the icons depending on the amount of horizontal/vertical space
> given)?
> Having it occupy two lines even when spread out over the whole width isn't
> good, that's for sure.
> Making it work like a normal docker would allow for maximum layout
> flexibility, which would be great.
Sure but what should the name be?