Merge request of new tool docker

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Jan 5 08:42:10 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 05 January 2011, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > Sounds like a good idea.
> > I'm not so sure. The docker is the container for various tool options. If
> > the ability to switch mode depends on what tool is active, then the user
> > will have to activate the right tool in order to unlock the docker. I
> > think the user will get quite confused, and think the unlock is suddenly
> > missing.
> >

> Oh, yes, true. I got confused here. Thought there were whole applications
> that  only used one-widget-tools, but that's not the case of course. I
> agree that the behavior should not change between tools. But there still
> should not be two titles if there is only one group. And the tab switch
> does not make sense either, so it might be disabled (would be less "jumpy"
> then showing/hiding it). But the lock switch should stay.

Fine with me. However, I am not quiet sure why this docker deserve a lock
(more than the other ones), I wonder if the lock button and tab button should
not be moved to the title bar.

> > > I agree. It should behave as much like other dockers as possible.
> > > Especially making it movable would be important for users who want to
> > > save vertical space and put it with other dockers next to the document.
> > > As for the number of lines: Couldn't it be made like the tools docker
> > > (i.e. it arranges the icons depending on the amount of
> > > horizontal/vertical space given)?
> > > Having it occupy two lines even when spread out over the whole width
> > > isn't good, that's for sure.
> > > Making it work like a normal docker would allow for maximum layout
> > > flexibility, which would be great.
> >

> > Sure but what should the name be?
>
> Ah, yes, the titles... Why not Toolbar?
I wonder if it would not brings confusion with the "toolbox", also the toolbar
hardly countains any tool, but only shortcuts. So maybe "shortcuts bar" ?

"shortcuts bar" might sound weird for krita since it has things that are not
shortcuts in there (patterns/brush configuration...), but they might be moved
to their own docker.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott