release schedule proposal

todd rme toddrme2178 at
Wed Feb 2 15:37:31 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Cyrille Berger Skott
<cberger at> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Inge Wallin wrote:
>> But as a user, I expect to be able to update to either a new version with
>> new  features and possibly also new bugs or a more stable release with no
>> new features but also definitely less bugs.
> It is temporary. Until we have reached a user ready 3.0/2.4.
> But what I suggested in an other email, is not temporary, and would address
> your concern. User who want stable, will go for the yearly "main" release,
> users who want features will go for one of the three "features" release.
> --
> Cyrille Berger Skott

That is fine once we have an initial "main" release, but in my opinion
you made a clear commitment to support koffice 2.3 until then.  I
think abandoning koffice 2.3 now would be a P.R. disaster.  First, it
could easily be portrayed as spiteful and petty (I know it isn't, but
if you follow discussions online you know people will make up their
own motivations for these things).  Second, it doesn't seem very
professional, which is exactly what business users are looking for.
Third, it would cast doubt on future support for calligra releases.

I am not saying any of these are true, quite the opposite I think they
are not.  But this isn't about truth, it is about perception, about
how users and potential contributors will see such behavior, and I
don't think it will reflect well on the project in the eyes of either

I know there aren't major installations of the office suite, but I do
think a lot of people are watching the progress of calligra with a lot
of interest, and I think this sends a really bad message to those

Calligra is at a critical point, and it is riding a large wave of
enthusiasm and support.  I think doing anything that could jeapordize
that is a mistake.

You know the linux press is reading these mailing lists, and that
certain news outlets will report even the most tentative blue-sky
discussion as a definitive decision.  Honestly I think even mentioning
unilaterally dropping support for koffice 2.3 is extremely risky and
could have serious negative implications if a news outlet decides to
report it.  I guarantee such a discussion would be instantly spun in
the most negative possible way.

So whatever the technical merits of such a decision might be, I think
the message it sends about the calligra project, rightly or wrongly,
would be far worse.


More information about the calligra-devel mailing list