Help regarding project

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sun Dec 18 21:06:22 GMT 2011

On 18 December 2011 21:33, Panks <pankajxdx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> This is Pankaj, I am a second year CS student at Indian Institute of
> Technology, Madras.
> I am interested in contributing to Calligra.
>
> While going through last year (2011) gsoc idea page I found these ideas
> interesting:
> Project: PDF-Import and/or PDF-Export AND Integrate with Akonadi for
> Calligra Words
> and Project: PSD File import/export Support for Calligra Krita
>
> I would like to work upon one or more(depends on time) of these ideas.
> But since I am new to KDE, I would like someone to mentor/help me along with
> the project.
> So, can someone please help me along with?
>
> Credentials: I have knowledge of C++ and Qt.

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for contacting us. I've looked at
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Integrate_with_Akonadi
and if we can think about it in at least two ways:

1. Integration with document properties: document author(s), also for
change tracking, and the contacts can be inserted as ODF fields. Words
is the natural target here but some features are common for any
ODF-oriented Calligra app.

2. Integration as data source for with a mailmerge; it's possible that
mailmerge at data level will be internally handled by Kexi and/or Kexi
Reports in Calligra. Thus the first idea is to expose Akonadi data as
tables and queries to Kexi, so these objects can be used as any other
table or query. This is a task for adoption by interested
developer(s), and was already planned yeas ago before Akonadi existed
and has rather big potential.

As Kexi maintainer I am offering mentoring for #2. There is no need to
know database internals.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek