Selling Krita through Apple AppStore

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Dec 9 21:00:20 GMT 2011

On 9 December 2011 20:08, Alex Sarmiento <alexsarmiento at me.com> wrote:
>  Hey, Apple was ok about publishing VLC at their Store, but some developers wont(VLC/Nokia developer(s) made a lot of users unhappy, not Apple). Anyway, you are able to install it via jailbreak , so there's no legal issues.
>
> Besides,we are talking about a Mac computers, not  IOS devices

Yes, Macs. So there is no reason not to provide installation package
for download directly from calligra.org and get the 100% of the
_donations_. So far Mac PCs (yeah these are x86 PCs) still can be used
without touching the walled garden.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html - problem solved.

I don't think we're discussion about a mere detail: let's promote
walled gardens as distribution methods for our software and one day,
new generation of non-Linux/xBSD users, treating PCs like TV sets or
STBoxes, would understand no other source of distribution, and accept
closed ecosystem without any reflection. On PCs and consoles this
already started at full speed with some games.

That said I have no problem with Apple's grabbing % for paid apps. But
not a % for donations. I found aut that Alex  cares about legal
language so let's note: even the title of this thread is misleading
because we're not talking about selling an application. At most, one
sells license to use an app. Which still makes no sense in case of
(L)GPL.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek