Selling Krita through Apple AppStore

Alex Sarmiento alexsarmiento at me.com
Fri Dec 9 21:55:43 GMT 2011

> Yes, Macs. So there is no reason not to provide installation package
> for download directly from calligra.org and get the 100% of the
> _donations_. So far Mac PCs (yeah these are x86 PCs) still can be used
> without touching the walled garden.

The krita home page will always be able to provide to users  a direct download link right to your computer on any form (.dmg,tar, git,zip... etc). Just like CyberDuck does.

> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cyberduck/id409222199?mt=12&ls=1
> http://cyberduck.ch/
>
> Source:
>
> Source code is available licenced unter the  GNU General Public Licence.
>
> svn co http://svn.cyberduck.ch/trunk cyberduck

I don't see any reason on why not selling Krita, you can always sell an open source project, there's no any closure in these licenses that forbids you selling these apps. We are not talking about shareware/freeware/spamware here.

> I don't think we're discussion about a mere detail: let's promote
> walled gardens as distribution methods for our software and one day,
> new generation of non-Linux/xBSD users, treating PCs like TV sets or
> STBoxes, would understand no other source of distribution, and accept
> closed ecosystem without any reflection. On PCs and consoles this
> already started at full speed with some games.

We are not talking about promoting to the people  the  Apple's AppStore  model business , we are talking about using the   AppStore Model business  as a distribution , promotion and founding  channel for a open source project like Krita. That's it, nothing less, nothing more.  Keep it simple.  The Ultimate goal of Krita is to let users to create art, and they'll find that *GPL open source software is great too. Some users would want to enhance the software and will download the source code to their macs, and submit their changes to the repo that at the same time will made it to the bundle in the AppStore, so everybody will enjoy the new Krita.

How i did learn about krita? looking for graphics design apps in the AppStore i just found expensive,some crappy, and under featured (yet fancy) software. So i started looking for open source software like gimp (i hate gtk) or inkscape. Then i found Krita. It  would be so nice to find Krita directly in the AppStore, featured in the top download list!

So , i don't see why is so bad to put Krita on a main stream display window

> I found aut that Alex  cares about legal
> language so let's note: even the title of this thread is misleading
> because we're not talking about selling an application. At most, one
> sells license to use an app. Which still makes no sense in case of
> (L)GPL.

Again, nothing stops you from selling krita or any other open source application. People sells Ubuntu DVDs that  came with a free as a bird license.