RFC: Calligra press kit

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 15:16:37 GMT 2011

On 8 December 2011 15:29, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net> wrote:
>> I'm not in the least interested in fine semantic distinctions and will
>> continue using KDE5 as a convenient shorthand for the version of the
>> libraries that are compatible with Qt5 and that are incompatible with our
>> current source code,
>
> In which universe is "KDE5" shorter than KF5?
>

>> irregardless for the version of number of the desktop
>> that links to those libraries.
>
> Other people reading the term "KDE5" may think of version 5 of the desktop.
>
> But what you're saying is that the whole press kit document is just for waste because
> "semantic distinctions" between Calligra, Calligra Suite, and Calligra Engine don't matter
> anyway.

If the distinction is hard to keep in everyday written mail, then it's
badly designed. KDE has always been meant desktop and framework to me
and some other people I know. The recent change has to prove its
usefulness but not via forcing/unpolite behaviour.
We're not accusing anyone who uses Calligra term instead Calligra
Engine Frameworks 2.4 of being uneducated. We use Calligra libs
ex-changeably from time to time.

> Thanks for telling me that my work I put into that document was just waste of
> time.

It's good that the problem popped up: I don't know about you but it
shows that I still want to be a bit more human in the press kit,
otherwise I sound rather like a J2EE/Oracle guy using too many
acronyms [1]. Yet I do not expect even this correctness here in a
normal writing.

Please note that KDE itself is a problem since its meaning has been
replaced with magic non-acronym. So its building on a problematic
rename. Just a fact not criticism.

Just relax.

[1] From http://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/kde-abbreviations :
# KPW – KDE Plasma Workspaces: All shells developed by KDE.
# KPD – KDE Plasma Desktop: The shell by KDE for desktop computers.
# KPN – KDE Plasma Netbook: The netbook shell.
# KF5 – KDE Frameworks 5: Successor of KDE Platform and kdelibs.
# KApps: KDE Applications: Applications written by KDE.
# KR: KDE Release

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek