RFC: Calligra press kit

Adam Pigg piggz1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 16:31:33 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:

> On 8 December 2011 15:29, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net> wrote:
> >> I'm not in the least interested in fine semantic distinctions and will
> >> continue using KDE5 as a convenient shorthand for the version of the
> >> libraries that are compatible with Qt5 and that are incompatible with
> our
> >> current source code,
> >
> > In which universe is "KDE5" shorter than KF5?
> >

> >> irregardless for the version of number of the desktop
> >> that links to those libraries.
> >
> > Other people reading the term "KDE5" may think of version 5 of the
> desktop.
> >
> > But what you're saying is that the whole press kit document is just for
> waste because
> > "semantic distinctions" between Calligra, Calligra Suite, and Calligra
> Engine don't matter
> > anyway.
>
> If the distinction is hard to keep in everyday written mail, then it's
> badly designed. KDE has always been meant desktop and framework to me
> and some other people I know. The recent change has to prove its
> usefulness but not via forcing/unpolite behaviour.
> We're not accusing anyone who uses Calligra term instead Calligra
> Engine Frameworks 2.4 of being uneducated. We use Calligra libs
> ex-changeably from time to time.
>
> > Thanks for telling me that my work I put into that document was just
> waste of
> > time.
>
> It's good that the problem popped up: I don't know about you but it
> shows that I still want to be a bit more human in the press kit,
> otherwise I sound rather like a J2EE/Oracle guy using too many
> acronyms [1]. Yet I do not expect even this correctness here in a
> normal writing.
>
> Please note that KDE itself is a problem since its meaning has been
> replaced with magic non-acronym. So its building on a problematic
> rename. Just a fact not criticism.
>
> Just relax.
>
> [1] From http://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/kde-abbreviations :
> # KPW – KDE Plasma Workspaces: All shells developed by KDE.
> # KPD – KDE Plasma Desktop: The shell by KDE for desktop computers.
> # KPN – KDE Plasma Netbook: The netbook shell.
> # KF5 – KDE Frameworks 5: Successor of KDE Platform and kdelibs.
> # KApps: KDE Applications: Applications written by KDE.
> # KR: KDE Release
>
> clearly thought up by someone who went to management school ;)

life seemed easier when there was a single coherent kde release, where is
the logic in a desktop version 4.9 working with a kf5, and why not just
call it version 5.0, people complained enough when kde 4.0 was not meant
for end users, now they have to deal with mixing versions of different
components....im sure most people will expect kpw4.9 to work with qt4/kde4.7

....but, this is probably offtopic :)