Active & Calligra

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 29 17:18:12 BST 2011

hi all..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MADKdbN8nyY
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/04/plasma-active-calligra-active.html

those of us in Plasma Active are looking forward to working with all of you in
making the free software stack for consumer devices we all want to see, use
and say we are a part of :)

there is quite a ways to go both for Plasma Active itself as well as Calligra
on these sorts of devices.

the Calligra user interface isn't quite there yet, but that's what Plasma
Active is all about: helping the various efforts within the KDE community come
together and focus on making awesome things on devices like tablets. we know
we have a good long road ahead of us, and that is something that raises our
excitement and determination.

you can easily track Calligra development on Plasma Active as we will be
rolling new snapshots via OBS on a regular basis and putting out a new live
image every 2 weeks with the latest and greatest on it.

there are a number of interface issues we ran into when testing Calligra on
tablets, but i'm not sure how many of these issues you are already aware of or
how much feedback you'd like/appreciate at this point. guide us :)

(one example of the issues we ran into: Stage's presentation mode pops up a
window without window decorations that just "happens" to have the same size as
the resolution of the n900... this really should be a full screen window and
needs to support gestures for moving between slides.)

focussing on fundamental functionality without feeling like we need to get
overly fancy, we can put out a terrific first release of Plasma Active,
including Calligra, by October.

we live in interesting times, and we're only beginning... :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se