[Bugsquad] How can we grow?

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 15 00:04:47 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 23:10:51 Michael Leupold wrote:
> I'd love for some of you to share your stories. Maybe we can find some
> common pattern and establish a way to increase our manpower (like bribe
> Aaron with candy to blog about us :)).

I got involved after I read this article on the dot:
http://dot.kde.org/1208339215/, but I think I had already read something on
the planet before that. I had been thinking about getting involved with KDE
for quite some time, but couldn't think of a good way to get started, so the
Bugsquad came in very handy ;-)

I took part in only 2 or 3 Konqueror Bug days because I usually don't have
much time on weekends (but there's not really any particular day that would
suit me better). Now I've been doing some Konqueror and Dolphin triage on my
own for some time. I would not want to get involved with other apps because
these two already have a lot more incoming (and even more old) bugs than I
can look at, and I also tend to think that you can work more efficiently if
you work on just one or two apps because it's a lot easier to recognise
duplicates if you get to know an application better.

That said, I still think that Bug days are very valuable. They got me into the
bug business, and I think they have the potential to still attract a lot more
people to contribute to KDE. So the question remains how more attention can
be raised. Dot articles might be an idea (not every two weeks, but maybe one
for every new application - like KOffice - that is targeted, maybe one once
in a while with status updates), and blogs by "big guys" like Aaron from time
to time might also be useful.

Thanks for investing so much time and effort into keeping the Bugsquad alive!
I think that you (and the others that initiated it and spread the word)
really make a difference to KDE!

Cheers
Frank