amarok won't start

salamandir salamandir at hybridelephant.com
Wed Jun 15 23:49:50 UTC 2016

On Friday, June 10, 2016 12:45:28 AM, Alexander Potashev, an eminent
manifestation of divinity, wrote:
> OK, then we can't blame last.fm
>
> A more direct way of debugging hang-ups is to run the program is
> debugger and see the stacktrace. Next time Amarok starts hanging up
> often on your computer,
>  1. Run amarok in GDB:
> gdb amarok
> (wait for GDB to load...)
> run --nofork
>  2. When the UI hangs up, go to the terminal where you started GDB and
> press Ctrl+C to "pause" the amarok process.
>  3. See the stacktrace:
> bt
>  4. Or even better, see the stacktraces for all threads:
> thread apply all bt
>
> A stacktrace will probably show where in the code it has "hung up".

okay, amarok has started hanging up again. i'm assuming that this time it
was because i loaded some new files into my "Music" directory, and
something hung up trying to match the old database with the new files.

so, i decided to try this out. here's what i learned:

running amarok in GDB doesn't work. when i type

gdb amarok

into a console, it starts GDB, but nothing else. if i then type

amarok

i get this

Undefined command: "amarok".  Try "help".

also, when i try

amarok --nofork

i get the same thing.

so, if i run GDB in one console window, and try running amarok --nofork
in another console window, when it gets to the point where amarok hangs
up, typing CTRL+c into the GDB window gives me this:

(gdb) Quit

and if i type CTRL+c into the amarok window, i get this:

Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
^CCalling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
salamandir at horseradish:~$

then, if i try typing "bt" into the GDB window, i get this:

(gdb) bt
No stack.

and typing "thread apply all bt" gives me a (gdb) prompt, but no other
output.

this is probably not what it's supposed to do, but, not being very
familiar with how GDB is supposed to work gives me very little leeway in
what i can do that will be meaningful experimentation.

once again, amarok is apparently hanging up, at this point, i'm
tentatively going to posit that it was because i added new files to a
directory that amarok is supposed to examine for changes in the process
of starting up, and i don't know what to do next, although my impression
is that if i wait long enough, it will fix itself on its own.

--
namaste
salamandir
salamandir at hybridelephant.com

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments
--
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
     -- Bertrand Russell