amarok won't start

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 11:18:51 UTC 2016

Hi Salamandir,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 1:49 AM, salamandir
<salamandir at hybridelephant.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 10, 2016 12:45:28 AM, Alexander Potashev, an eminent
> manifestation of divinity, wrote:
>
>> OK, then we can't blame last.fm
>

>> A more direct way of debugging hang-ups is to run the program is
>
>> debugger and see the stacktrace. Next time Amarok starts hanging up
>
>> often on your computer,
>
>>  1. Run amarok in GDB:
>
>> gdb amarok
>
>> (wait for GDB to load...)
>
>> run --nofork
>
>>  2. When the UI hangs up, go to the terminal where you started GDB and
>
>> press Ctrl+C to "pause" the amarok process.
>
>>  3. See the stacktrace:
>
>> bt
>
>>  4. Or even better, see the stacktraces for all threads:
>
>> thread apply all bt
>

>> A stacktrace will probably show where in the code it has "hung up".
>

> okay, amarok has started hanging up again. i'm assuming that this time it
> was because i loaded some new files into my "Music" directory, and something
> hung up trying to match the old database with the new files.
>

> so, i decided to try this out. here's what i learned:
>

> running amarok in GDB doesn't work. when i type
>

> gdb amarok
>

> into a console, it starts GDB, but nothing else. if i then type
>

> amarok
>

> i get this
>

> Undefined command: "amarok". Try "help".

Because you did not what Alexander told you to do, please read again :-)

Type the following:

gdb amarok

(this only starts gdb and now expects you to give a gdb command that
runs the abovementioned application, so you have to give the correct
gdb command!)

run --nofork

(this starts the gdb run of amarok with the option --nofork, typing
amarok here will do nothing as this is not a gdb command. Remember,
you are inside the gdb application at this moment)

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org