Fwd: Amarok

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Tue Nov 10 20:19:40 UTC 2015

His answer...

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : 	Amarok
Date : 	Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:32:27 -0500
De : 	Phil <phdsrq at gmail.com>
Pour : 	olivier at churlaud.com

Hi Olivier,

*Thank you for responding so quickly. I really appreciate that.*

Your replies are quoted in yellow.

Firstly, thank you for the feedback. It's always cool to hear from our
users :)

As an ex-programmer, software developer, small business owner, that
obviously included supporting customers nationwide in the USA, I too
appreciate hearing your timely responses. You have a great positive
attitude and that is always cool :). I love music, and I always have
nice things to say about the wonderful Amarok music player and the
excellent Linux Mint KDE operating system. I also reflect that in my
posts and replies in the Linux Mint forums as well to user's world wide
in whatever language they use. I am user "phd21" in the Linux Mint forums.

*Re: the "Record Stream" script not stopping "streamripper" during the
recording process.*
I cannot answer about this, since I've never worked on it.. Let's wait
for someone who know it.

I have contacted the developer of the "RecordStream" script, and filed a
bug report, and now I am in a "wait and see what happens" mode. You seem
to indicate that you are doing something on your end as well, if that is
so, please keep me posted. Although I am not familiar with "Javascript"
yet, I am trying some various code to see if I can get it to stop
recording an Internet stream (stop "streamripper"), and I'll let you
know if it works.

*Re: Suggestions for enhancing Amarok's Playlists with "one click"
easier access to "saved playlists" and "tabs".

It **would be really nice to have a direct "single-click"  way to get to
the "saved Playlists", "Amarok Database", and or "Playlist files on
disk" in an opened state (with the lists already displayed), on the
toolbar, or even a keyboard shortcut, and or maybe one or two icons
(launchers), at the top or bottom of the "current playlist"; and having
multiple playlist tabs and tab options in the currently playing playlist
would sure be great too..*

This was already asked, and we all agree with you. We are currently
working a lot to port Amarok to the new Framework and to Qt5, but I
think this comes next :) (and I hope so!)

I am looking forward to this as well. Should I fill out a request for
this in the "bugs' wish list section, or has that already been taken
care of as you seem to be suggesting? Myriam thought I should, but I do
not want to be redundant, unless it would help things along.

*Re: an enhanced "Record Stream" script with multiple timer schedules by
date and time for various streaming stations, with the ability to manage
and edit those. *

I think you can create a script to do this. This is not in our
priorities for the moment, but feel free to open a ticket on our
bugtracker to ask for enhancement. However, if you really want it, I
would rather advise you to try to play around this with the scripting
tools provided with amarok.

Here you can find some documentation about it :
https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Script_API

I'll definitely take a look at this...

*Re: Lastly, it would be also be nice, although not essential, to have
Amarok, be able to open and play videos (ex: music videos), even if it
spawns an external media (video) player which would require a
configuration setting somewhere, maybe a plug-in, or script.*

I think this will never be added... To be good in something, it's better
to focus in this something I think, and for us it's music... Check VLC
or whatever player you like.

I do agree that to be really great at anything requires focusing on
that, but after you have completed that task, then you can add even more
things to be great at to your skill set, or a program's feature set. It
was just a thought because of music videos.

*Re: I hope I answered your questions. If you have some interests in
taking part in the development, we are also happy to welcome you :)
Cheers and have Fun !
*
You did answer my questions, and again thank you!
I will seriously think about taking part in the development process for
Amarok, and or Linux Mint and KDE, what would I need to do to get
involved, and what programming languages and scripting languages would
you recommend, ,in addtion to what you have already mentioned?

/I always try to have fun./

*Cheers to you and you have fun as well!

*
*Best regards to you and yours,
*

Phil Duffer
E-mail: phdsrq at mail.com <mailto:phdsrq at mail.com>

Linux Mint Forum User: phd21

Sarasota, FL
USA

Previous email from you on 11-09-2015:

Let me answer point by point.

> First, I must say that I truly love the wonderful Amarok music player,
> Thank You. I have checked a lot of music players and music managers in
> Ms Windows and Linux for a long time now, and I still think Amarok is
> the best one I have found. I am currently running Linux Mint KDE 17.1
> which I also think is absolutely superb.
That is what we like to hear, and I'm happy you enjoy it .
> [...]
> "streamripper", maybe "killall -9 streamripper", and where would I put
> that? If there is some better method, or code, to do this? Please let
> me know.
>
> function recStreamStop() {
>   if (recording == true) {
>     recording = false;
>     timer.stop();
>     rectimer.stop();
>     callerProc.terminate();
>     callerProc.kill();
>     removeRelay();
> *    killall -9 streamripper*
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.mrecStream.enabled = true;
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.recRadio.enabled = true;
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.recWav.enabled = true;
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.recStop.enabled = false;
>   }
> }

I cannot answer about this, since I've never worked on it.. Let's wait
for someone who know it.

> Thirdly, it would be very cool, and functional, and super convenient,
> to have the easy ability to put in multiple play and or recording
> start and stop dates and times, and or daily schedules, for individual
> Internet streaming stations, similar to "Kradio" 's Alarms, or an even
> better easier "right click" a streaming station, "add timer" method;
> and obviously the ability to manage and edit timers.
I think you can create a script to do this. This is not in our
priorities for the moment, but feel free to open a ticket on our
bugtracker to ask for enhancement. However, if you really want it, I
would rather advise you to try to play around this with the scripting
tools provided with amarok.

Here you can find some documentation about it :
https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Script_API

> Fourthly, it would be really nice to have a direct "single-click"  way
> to get to the "saved Playlists", "Amarok Database", and or "Playlist
> files on disk" in an opened state (with the lists already displayed),
> on the toolbar, or even a keyboard shortcut, and or maybe one or two
> icons (launchers), at the top or bottom of the "current playlist"; and
> having multiple playlist tabs and tab options in the currently playing
> playlist would sure be great too.
This was already asked, and we all agree with you. We are currently
working a lot to port Amarok to the new Framework and to Qt5, but I
think this comes next :) (and I hope so!)
> Lastly, it would be also be nice, although not essential, to have
> Amarok, be able to open and play videos (ex: music videos), even if it
> spawns an external media (video) player which would require a
> configuration setting somewhere, maybe a plug-in, or script.

I think this will never be added... To be good in something, it's better
to focus in this something I think, and for us it's music... Check VLC
or whatever player you like.

I hope I answered your questions. If you have some interests in taking
part in the development, we are also happy to welcome you :)

*Confidentiality Warning:* This e-mail contains information intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader
of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any
dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss,
disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur
while using anything contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by
return e-mail. Thank you.

Support learning */Science/, Technology, /Engineering/, and /Mathematics
and the/ (STEM)* Education Coalition which works to support STEM
programs for teachers and students everywhere. Make good minds greater!
<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fs.wisestamp.com%2Flinks%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FSTEM_fields>

photo
<http://plus.google.com/u/0/118127531567586534157>

Get a signature like this: Click here!
<http://ws-promos.appspot.com/r?rdata=eyJydXJsIjogImh0dHA6Ly93d3cud2lzZXN0YW1wLmNvbS9lbWFpbC1pbnN0YWxsP3dzX25jaWQ9NjcyMjk0MDA4JnV0bV9zb3VyY2U9ZXh0ZW5zaW9uJnV0bV9tZWRpdW09ZW1haWwmdXRtX2NhbXBhaWduPXByb21vXzU3MzI1Njg1NDg3Njk3OTIiLCAiZSI6ICI1NzMyNTY4NTQ4NzY5NzkyIn0=>