Amarok

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Tue Nov 10 20:37:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'll answer below your words :)

> *Re: the "Record Stream" script not stopping "streamripper" during the
> recording process.*
> I cannot answer about this, since I've never worked on it.. Let's wait
> for someone who know it.
>
> I have contacted the developer of the "RecordStream" script, and filed
> a bug report, and now I am in a "wait and see what happens" mode. You
> seem to indicate that you are doing something on your end as well, if
> that is so, please keep me posted. Although I am not familiar with
> "Javascript" yet, I am trying some various code to see if I can get it
> to stop recording an Internet stream (stop "streamripper"), and I'll
> let you know if it works.
That was the thing to do. About what I'm currently doing: I'm
contributing to the porting of Amarok to the KDE Framework and Plasma.
It's a huge amount of work, but it's slowly catching up.
> *Re: Suggestions for enhancing Amarok's Playlists with "one click"
> easier access to "saved playlists" and "tabs".
>
> It **would be really nice to have a direct "single-click"  way to get
> to the "saved Playlists", "Amarok Database", and or "Playlist files on
> disk" in an opened state (with the lists already displayed), on the
> toolbar, or even a keyboard shortcut, and or maybe one or two icons
> (launchers), at the top or bottom of the "current playlist"; and
> having multiple playlist tabs and tab options in the currently playing
> playlist would sure be great too..*
>
> This was already asked, and we all agree with you. We are currently
> working a lot to port Amarok to the new Framework and to Qt5, but I
> think this comes next :) (and I hope so!)
>
> I am looking forward to this as well. Should I fill out a request for
> this in the "bugs' wish list section, or has that already been taken
> care of as you seem to be suggesting? Myriam thought I should, but I
> do not want to be redundant, unless it would help things along.
Go on bugs.kde.org, check amarok and see if the bug is already there.
Also I keep this in mind, for when I'll be done with my current
occupation on Amarok.

> *Re: an enhanced "Record Stream" script with multiple timer schedules
> by date and time for various streaming stations, with the ability to
> manage and edit those. *
>

> *Re: Lastly, it would be also be nice, although not essential, to have
> Amarok, be able to open and play videos (ex: music videos), even if it
> spawns an external media (video) player which would require a
> configuration setting somewhere, maybe a plug-in, or script.*
>
> I think this will never be added... To be good in something, it's
> better to focus in this something I think, and for us it's music...
> Check VLC or whatever player you like.
>
> I do agree that to be really great at anything requires focusing on
> that, but after you have completed that task, then you can add even
> more things to be great at to your skill set, or a program's feature
> set. It was just a thought because of music videos.
Sadly enough, the task is never achieved, and as you pointed out
earlier, we still have a significant room for progression. And the
design might evolve, some features introduced and so on... Who knows :)

> *Re: I hope I answered your questions. If you have some interests in
> taking part in the development, we are also happy to welcome you :)
> Cheers and have Fun !
> *
> You did answer my questions, and again thank you!
> I will seriously think about taking part in the development process
> for Amarok, and or Linux Mint and KDE, what would I need to do to get
> involved, and what programming languages and scripting languages would
> you recommend, ,in addtion to what you have already mentioned?

If you want to help, I invite you to know about C++ and Qt, because KDE
using this a lot. You can check our projects on
https://quickgit.kde.org/  (amarok is there), and give a hand on
whatever project you like.  More information can be found here
https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved

About Linux Mint, I can't tell since I'm not using it :)

Cheers and have fun!
Olivier