Amarok - will not stop recording a stream

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Mon Nov 9 12:42:43 UTC 2015

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for the feedback. It's always cool to hear from our
users :)
Let me answer point by point.

Le 08/11/2015 21:13, Phil a écrit :
> First, I must say that I truly love the wonderful Amarok music player,
> Thank You. I have checked a lot of music players and music managers in
> Ms Windows and Linux for a long time now, and I still think Amarok is
> the best one I have found. I am currently running Linux Mint KDE 17.1
> which I also think is absolutely superb.
That is what we like to hear, and I'm happy you enjoy it .
> Secondly, I am having a problem when recording an Internet Streaming
> station in that it will not stop "streamripper" from recording when I
> click the stop recording button, even if I set a timer, even if I exit
> Amarok. I have to logout, or bring up "Ksysguard" to kill the process,
> or it will continue to record.
>
> I finally found the program that controls this, which I think is Java
> Script, in "/home/phil/.kde/share/apps/amarok/*main.js*". I can see
> the code block on line 139 "function recStreamStop()" which should
> stop "streamripper", which is not working on my system. But, I do not
> know how to edit the code correctly, or what to put in there to stop
> "streamripper", maybe "killall -9 streamripper", and where would I put
> that? If there is some better method, or code, to do this? Please let
> me know.
>
> function recStreamStop() {
>   if (recording == true) {
>     recording = false;
>     timer.stop();
>     rectimer.stop();
>     callerProc.terminate();
>     callerProc.kill();
>     removeRelay();
> *    killall -9 streamripper*
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.mrecStream.enabled = true;
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.recRadio.enabled = true;
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.recWav.enabled = true;
>     Amarok.Window.ToolsMenu.recStop.enabled = false;
>   }
> }

I cannot answer about this, since I've never worked on it.. Let's wait
for someone who know it.

> Thirdly, it would be very cool, and functional, and super convenient,
> to have the easy ability to put in multiple play and or recording
> start and stop dates and times, and or daily schedules, for individual
> Internet streaming stations, similar to "Kradio" 's Alarms, or an even
> better easier "right click" a streaming station, "add timer" method;
> and obviously the ability to manage and edit timers.
I think you can create a script to do this. This is not in our
priorities for the moment, but feel free to open a ticket on our
bugtracker to ask for enhancement. However, if you really want it, I
would rather advise you to try to play around this with the scripting
tools provided with amarok.

Here you can find some documentation about it :
     https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Script_API

> Fourthly, it would be really nice to have a direct "single-click"  way
> to get to the "saved Playlists", "Amarok Database", and or "Playlist
> files on disk" in an opened state (with the lists already displayed),
> on the toolbar, or even a keyboard shortcut, and or maybe one or two
> icons (launchers), at the top or bottom of the "current playlist"; and
> having multiple playlist tabs and tab options in the currently playing
> playlist would sure be great too.
This was already asked, and we all agree with you. We are currently
working a lot to port Amarok to the new Framework and to Qt5, but I
think this comes next :) (and I hope so!)
> Lastly, it would be also be nice, although not essential, to have
> Amarok, be able to open and play videos (ex: music videos), even if it
> spawns an external media (video) player which would require a
> configuration setting somewhere, maybe a plug-in, or script.

I think this will never be added... To be good in something, it's better
to focus in this something I think, and for us it's music... Check VLC
or whatever player you like.

I hope I answered your questions. If you have some interests in taking
part in the development, we are also happy to welcome you :)

Cheers and have Fun !
Olivier