weird problem shuffling a playlist with 2000+ tracks

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Sun May 6 15:29:16 UTC 2012

I have some large playlists that I like to shuffle. They can have
anywhere from 2000 to 6000 tracks in them.

I've noticed since a recent upgrade from Amarok 2.4 to Amarok 2.5
(debian testing), that it sometimes repeats the same track immediately
after it finishes, and at this point, Amarok becomes confused about
what the current track is. Sometimes the "now playing" is what it is
going to play next, and other times, I can 't figure out what the
relationship between "now playing" and the track I am currently
hearing is.

I don't have a reproducible test case for this yet. You can be sure I
will post a bug report when I can figure out how to reproduce it
reliably.
I can give you some observations though: it seems to be really busy
(CPU-wise) trying to determine what the next track is, and sometimes
that process might take too long so amarok just repeats the same track
instead of playing something new.

So basically, amarok 2.5 seems to be almost unusable with large playlists.

Anyone else experience this?