flacs "skipped"

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:44:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Thomas Klausner <wiz at netbsd.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Since a recent rebuild, amarok-2.4.0 doesn't play flacs correctly any
> longer. The same version did before, so I wonder what changed. I don't
> know what exactly changed since the working version. It might have
> been the KDE update from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5, but I'm not sure it's related.
>
> The behaviour is that it accepts them in the play list fine, but when
> playing one, the progress bar just runs over the song (a few seconds
> for a minutes-long song) and no audio is produced.
>
> mp3s are still played correctly.
>
> Any ideas how to debug this?
>  Thomas

First, check your phonon backend, and change it if you have more than
one installed. Do you experience the same behavior still? Do you get a
test sound?

Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback: Configure Phonon: Backend tab

Next, if you are still having problems, check to be sure you have the
proper codecs installed for your chosen backend. Xine, VLC and
Gstreamer all require different codecs, unfortunately.

Finally, you can run Amarok from the console: amarok --debug --nofork
. You'll get lots of output, but watch carefully when a flac is
skipped, if that's still happening.

If you need to write back, please mention the distro you are using, in
case we've heard something about packaging problems, etc.

Valorie