flacs "skipped"

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Mon Feb 14 13:49:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 02:44:01AM -0800, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Thomas Klausner <wiz at netbsd.org> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Since a recent rebuild, amarok-2.4.0 doesn't play flacs correctly any
> > longer. The same version did before, so I wonder what changed. I don't
> > know what exactly changed since the working version. It might have
> > been the KDE update from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5, but I'm not sure it's related.
> >
> > The behaviour is that it accepts them in the play list fine, but when
> > playing one, the progress bar just runs over the song (a few seconds
> > for a minutes-long song) and no audio is produced.
> >
> > mp3s are still played correctly.
> >
> > Any ideas how to debug this?
> >  Thomas
>
> First, check your phonon backend, and change it if you have more than
> one installed. Do you experience the same behavior still? Do you get a
> test sound?

As I said, I can play mp3s in amarok fine.
Only flac files are affected.

When trying to open the Phonon Control Panel, amarok just hangs and
the panel never opens. Not good.

> Settings > Configure Amarok > Playback: Configure Phonon: Backend tab
>
> Next, if you are still having problems, check to be sure you have the
> proper codecs installed for your chosen backend. Xine, VLC and
> Gstreamer all require different codecs, unfortunately.

phonon in pkgsrc depends on xine-lib and gstreamer. xine-lib has no
options for supported codecs in pkgsrc, and I have installed the flac
and mp3 backends for gstreamer.

> Finally, you can run Amarok from the console: amarok --debug --nofork
> . You'll get lots of output, but watch carefully when a flac is
> skipped, if that's still happening.

The output is attached. I put a flac between to mp3 files and pressed
"next" on the first one, the flac was skipped, and the second mp3 was
played.

> If you need to write back, please mention the distro you are using, in
> case we've heard something about packaging problems, etc.

I'm the maintainer for the amarok pkgsrc package, and I'm using it on
NetBSD-5.99.45/amd64.

Thanks,
 Thomas