high cpu usage

Rick W. Chen stuffcorpse at archlinux.us
Wed Oct 13 07:36:46 UTC 2010

On 12 Oct 2010 08:07 -0700, Alfredo Quesada Sánchez:
> Hi
>
> After a comment from lfranchi I'm sending here the information I've
> got about a problem with amarok.
>
> The problem:
>
> Amarok CPU usage goes from the usual values (let's say.. 1 or 2%) to a
> far higher one (in my Q9300 PC it's around 55%). At the same time Xorg
> also is using more CPU than usual, near 60% or even higher. If I
> kill/close amarok then Xorg also goes to a normal level.  At this
> point the menus don't work (it looks like the menu is opened and
> closed too fast, so you can't use it at all).  Besides right clicking
> on an album in the "albums" plasmoid just works the same way as left
> clicking (compact/expand the album), that is, no popup.
>
> Other things do work properly, such as global shortcuts, play/stop/..
> buttons, and so on.
>
> The use case:
>
> I just start amarok, in random mode, and let it be playing. Sometimes
> I use global shortcuts to play/pause/next, that's all. I have no
> external devices.
>
> The info I've got:
>
> I have attached 2 things: - A screenshot with the layout i use.  - A
> zipped pack of files, which is the ouput of valgrind after having been
> profiling amarok with the command -> valgrind --tool=callgrind amarok
> -d
>
> I don't have amarok's output. I did send it a few days ago to lfranchi
> and didn't find anything unexpected. If required I can run the
> profiling again.
>
> My computer:
>
> Of course I could say many things about it but, in terms of software,
> it's kubuntu 10.04 with kde 4.5.1 and amarok 2.3.2
>
> Regards

Valorie and I have both encountered this. I don't know how to trigger
this but it involves the current track applet. When the churning happens
something is causing the applet to repaint itself repeatedly. So when
the applet isn't showing the problem goes away. Quite annoying.

--
    Rick