high cpu usage

Alfredo Quesada Sánchez freddy2_es at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 15:07:54 UTC 2010

Hi

After a comment from lfranchi I'm sending here the information I've got about a problem with amarok.

The problem:

Amarok CPU usage goes from the usual values (let's say.. 1 or 2%) to a far higher one (in my Q9300 PC it's around 55%). At the same time Xorg also is using more CPU than usual, near 60% or even higher. If I kill/close amarok then Xorg also goes to a normal level.
At this point the menus don't work (it looks like the menu is opened and closed too fast, so you can't use it at all).
Besides right clicking on an album in the "albums" plasmoid just works the same way as left clicking (compact/expand the album), that is, no popup.

Other things do work properly, such as global shortcuts, play/stop/.. buttons, and so on.

The use case:

I just start amarok, in random mode, and let it be playing. Sometimes I use global shortcuts to play/pause/next, that's all. I have no external devices.

The info I've got:

I have attached 2 things:
- A screenshot with the layout i use.
- A zipped pack of files, which is the ouput of valgrind after having been profiling amarok with the command -> valgrind --tool=callgrind amarok -d

I don't have amarok's output. I did send it a few days ago to lfranchi and didn't find anything unexpected. If required I can run the profiling again.

My computer:

Of course I could say many things about it but, in terms of software, it's kubuntu 10.04 with kde 4.5.1 and amarok 2.3.2

Regards