Sound faults in Version 2.3.0 w/ Debian Squeeze

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:06:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> Jeff didn't ask for the output but the backend, i.e. like gstreamer or xine.
>
> From my personal experience however, pulseaudio can be a major source of
> trouble, so i'd suggest to simply shut it down and check whether the problem
> persists (esp. as you mentioned that playing apparetnly continues, just
> there's no audio)
>
> [Cannot afford any initials, sorry]
>
> Am Saturday 27 March 2010 schrieb AG:
>> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> > Do you know what Phonon backend your system is using?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > "JM"
>>
>> Dear "JM"
>>
>>  From Settings/ Configure Amarok/ Playback/ Sound System Configuration/
>> Configure Phonon the output device preference for the 'Music' Category
>> is set as HDA NVidia (ALC888 Analog).  This would be consistent with a
>> listing of my PCI Devices, the audio device is nVidia Corp MCP61 High
>> Def Audio.
>>
>> The output device pref has the nVidia device listed as the first in the
>> list ... presumably the default?  Following this is a listing for
>> PulseAudio.
>>
>> I think that all is aligned, the Amarok setting appears to be calling
>> the correct device, but perhaps it is not this obvious?
>>
>> What are your thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> AG

I know you've gotten some advice to stop or remove PulseAudio, but
I've got the opposite advice. Put PA at the top of the list of your
output devices -- ALL output devices. It can work well, but it does
not play well with others. I had various annoying sound problems until
I did this, and now everything works perfectly. Only after trying this
simple trick should you remove it.

Valorie
--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .