Sound faults in Version 2.3.0 w/ Debian Squeeze

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:18:59 UTC 2010

Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
>
>> Jeff didn't ask for the output but the backend, i.e. like gstreamer or xine.
>>
>> From my personal experience however, pulseaudio can be a major source of
>> trouble, so i'd suggest to simply shut it down and check whether the problem
>> persists (esp. as you mentioned that playing apparetnly continues, just
>> there's no audio)
>>
>> [Cannot afford any initials, sorry]

>>> Dear "JM"
>>>
>>>  From Settings/ Configure Amarok/ Playback/ Sound System Configuration/
>>> Configure Phonon the output device preference for the 'Music' Category
>>> is set as HDA NVidia (ALC888 Analog).  This would be consistent with a
>>> listing of my PCI Devices, the audio device is nVidia Corp MCP61 High
>>> Def Audio.
>>>
>>> The output device pref has the nVidia device listed as the first in the
>>> list ... presumably the default?  Following this is a listing for
>>> PulseAudio.
>>>
>>> I think that all is aligned, the Amarok setting appears to be calling
>>> the correct device, but perhaps it is not this obvious?
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> AG
>>>

> I know you've gotten some advice to stop or remove PulseAudio, but
> I've got the opposite advice. Put PA at the top of the list of your
> output devices -- ALL output devices. It can work well, but it does
> not play well with others. I had various annoying sound problems until
> I did this, and now everything works perfectly. Only after trying this
> simple trick should you remove it.
>
> Valorie

Thanks Valorie

I seem to have fixed the issue by installing GStreamer and now that is
at the top of the list.  I've been testing it all morning and it seems
to work fine for now (touch wood!).

If I understand the issues correctly, it seems that there is a larger
issue at hand here regarding track progression - see for example:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=amarok&m=126976476717565&w=2 but these could be
referring to other issues and be unrelated to my original post.

Thanks for your input Valorie.

AG