[Patch] Allow toolbar to be completely detached as a window

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Mar 20 14:35:16 UTC 2010

Hi Nikhil,

First of all, thanks for the patch but:
It can /not/ be applied atm. and the way it is*, as the
"topLevelChanged(bool)" signal is introduced with Qt 4.6, which is currently
not a required base of Amarok :-(
(if you don't read this list on a regular base - i ran into similar traps
before ;-)

About the patch itself:
-----------------
- i don't like too much that you need to close the toolbar to reparent it into
the mainwindow :-\

- the keep active thing is merely a windowflag, hinting to the WM (e.g. KWin)
-> this should be achievable by telling the WM that "we wish to gain focus" or
"deal focus ourself" (what would preserve the drag and drop reparenting
feature :) even w/o changing the window type** (thus maybe confusing Qt's
mainlayout code)

- mousetracking should not be required (you receive mousemoves anyway as long
as a button is pressed), also why not just use the toplevelchange signal
directly? (_iff_ we could use it ;-)

- i also guess some ppl. oppose the title to be "Toolbar", should be more like
"Amarok" ;-)

- the size issue is due to the custom layout and the lack of a set minimum
size (and the fact that Qt collapses toolbars when floating them)

@Markey and the other chiefs (IMPORTANT basic question):
Does Amarok want a player window at all (again), i.e. is this a
wished/acceptable feature (i think that has never been answered ;)

In this case i'd like to also adjust the layout (vertically align the tracks
and the slider to get the thing more compact =)

Cheers,
Thomas

* i think there's still a way nevertheless =)
** what however would allow to get the toolbar into the window stack, i.e.
allow it to be covered, etc.