Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Thu Jul 29 16:47:00 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 29.07.2010, 17:44 +0200 schrieb Marcel Hilzinger:

> -codecs-
> On OpenSuse you are first asked for MP3-Codecs-Support. This is a mess with
> approx 20 mouseclicks. My suggestion: start the mp3-codec question only, if a
> user want's to play an mp3-file, not on amarok start.

I never had this problem but I had mp3 support activated beforehand. Is
it amarok or Suse specific? (I use Fedora)

> - kwallet-
> Second question on amarok start is about kde briefcase. Why will Amarok access
> my passwords, when I did not even set up any within amarok? So the same
> suggestion here: just ask the user about kwallet, when he entered some user
> data for last.fm or whatever. Many users will never do so.

+1
I needed a while to find out that deactivating the last.fm functionality
stops asking for the password upon start.

> - default Music directory -
> Third (and final question) on amarok start is about the Collection folder. My
> suggestion here: just use Music without question. Users, who store there
> music whithin this directory will be happy immediately, all other users, who
> do not use this folder will have to open the setup dialog anyway.

I would say no to this since it could be that the users have their music
on a different partition. So it makes sense for me to ask for the
location.

Stefan