Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Marcel Hilzinger mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de
Thu Jul 29 15:44:48 UTC 2010

Hi folks,
I'm new on the list.

I'm using Amarok a lot for tests and on a daily base. Here some suggestions to
make amarok even rock more. If this kind of feedback is useful, I have some
more ideas :-)

The first start is not very smooth.
-codecs-
On OpenSuse you are first asked for MP3-Codecs-Support. This is a mess with
approx 20 mouseclicks. My suggestion: start the mp3-codec question only, if a
user want's to play an mp3-file, not on amarok start.

- kwallet-
Second question on amarok start is about kde briefcase. Why will Amarok access
my passwords, when I did not even set up any within amarok? So the same
suggestion here: just ask the user about kwallet, when he entered some user
data for last.fm or whatever. Many users will never do so.

- default Music directory -
Third (and final question) on amarok start is about the Collection folder. My
suggestion here: just use Music without question. Users, who store there
music whithin this directory will be happy immediately, all other users, who
do not use this folder will have to open the setup dialog anyway.

as long as there are no passwords stored within amarok and using Music as
default directory without further questions.

-ask for MP3 support only when the user tries to play an mp3 file (this might
be openSUSE specific)

best regards,
Marcel

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcel Hilzinger

Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Str. 71, 81739 München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 34 110, Fax: +49 89 99 34 1199
mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de - http://www.linuxnewmedia.de
Linux New Media, the Pulse of Open Source: Lawrence, KS - Málaga
Manchester - München - São Paulo - Warszawa