Elegance -- some suggestions for amarok first run

Marcel Hilzinger mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de
Fri Jul 30 08:41:11 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, 29. Juli 2010 18:47:00 schrieb Stefan Grosse:
> Am Donnerstag, den 29.07.2010, 17:44 +0200 schrieb Marcel Hilzinger:
> > -codecs-
> > On OpenSuse you are first asked for MP3-Codecs-Support. This is a mess
> > with approx 20 mouseclicks. My suggestion: start the mp3-codec question
> > only, if a user want's to play an mp3-file, not on amarok start.
>
> I never had this problem but I had mp3 support activated beforehand. Is
> it amarok or Suse specific? (I use Fedora)
>
> > - kwallet-
> > Second question on amarok start is about kde briefcase. Why will Amarok
> > access my passwords, when I did not even set up any within amarok? So the
> > same suggestion here: just ask the user about kwallet, when he entered
> > some user data for last.fm or whatever. Many users will never do so.
>
> +1
> I needed a while to find out that deactivating the last.fm functionality
> stops asking for the password upon start.
>
> > - default Music directory -
> > Third (and final question) on amarok start is about the Collection
> > folder. My suggestion here: just use Music without question. Users, who
> > store there music whithin this directory will be happy immediately, all
> > other users, who do not use this folder will have to open the setup
> > dialog anyway.
>
> I would say no to this since it could be that the users have their music
> on a different partition. So it makes sense for me to ask for the
> location.

OK. Usability bug then.

The Dialog shows in German

Ja | Nein | Abbrechen

(yes/no/cancel) Maybe it's obvious, that choosing "No" will open the setup
dialog, but it was not for me (and also for some of my friends also using
amarok).

So my suggestion would then be to change the No-Button to something like

Setup collection
Setup folder
Choose different folder

There is enough place on the dialog for more text, so this should not be a big
problem.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marcel Hilzinger

Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Str. 71, 81739 München, Germany
Tel: +49 89 99 34 110, Fax: +49 89 99 34 1199
mhilzinger at linuxnewmedia.de - http://www.linuxnewmedia.de
Linux New Media, the Pulse of Open Source: Lawrence, KS - Málaga
Manchester - München - São Paulo - Warszawa