Media Device Playlists

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 07:36:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 06:14, Cody Christensen <codyregister at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
> I Just tried to put some play lists on my mp3 player (Insignia Pilot) in MTP
> mode. When I clicked on the save play list button and selected media device it
> saved to the device, but the play list would not work. I then connected the
> player in file and folder mode and opened the .pla file in kate. All that I saw
> was a single character that was just a rectangle (sorry I don't know the
> technical name for this character).
>
> Is there a known issue with media device play lists or is this an issue
> resulting from something in my particular setup?
>
> I am running Kubuntu 9.10 Amarok 2.2.0 and KDE 4.3.2
> Thanks
>                                        --Cody

This could be a bug in MTP that has recently be solved.
Upgrade to 2.2.2 [1] and report a bug at http://bugs.kde.org if it
still exists in the new version.

What is a bit strange though is that you get an actual file on the
device. The MTP implementation of amarok uses a libmtp-playlist, which
is a logical construct representing a playlist, not an actual file. So
this might actually be a libmtp bug or even worse: a buggy device.

Leinir: don't you have an Insignia Pilot? Can you test this?

[1] http://www.kubuntu.org/news/amarok-2.2.2