amarok doesn't see all the audio files on my Sansa E260 (includes a patch)

Aran Cox acox at ia.primustel.com
Sat Oct 10 03:14:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 04:58:23PM -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Aran Cox wrote:
> > I've been using my Sansa E260 with Amarok and I noticed that when I
> > "Read Device" not all the songs show up in the collection.  It seems
> > that oggs are identified as "audio/x-vorbis+ogg" so I added that to
> > the list and now all but a handful of songs show up in the
> > collection.  I haven't pinnned down exactly which ones are not getting
> > added but when I do I'll try to figure out why.
>
> Aran,
>
> Do you know what is providing that mimetype? audio/vorbis and audio/ogg
> are defined mime types by IANA, and according to Xiph.org*, audio/ogg
> should be used for Ogg/Vorbis files -- at least, before it got redefined
> to application/ogg.
>
> I can't find anything that thinks x-vorbis+ogg is correct, so getting
> this fixed at the source would be good.
>
> *http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions#.ogg_-_audio.2Fogg
>
> --Jeff

It looks like it's returned by KMimeType::findByFileContent() which is
a part of kdelibs.  I'm on FC11 and the kdelibs version I have
installed is kdelibs-4.3.1-3.fc11.i586.  It looks like x-vorbis+ogg is
defined in a file /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml which
is provided by the shared-mime-info package on my system.

I have no idea what's right or not of course!