amarok doesn't see all the audio files on my Sansa E260 (includes a patch)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 10 10:02:01 UTC 2009

'Twas brillig, and Aran Cox at 10/10/09 04:14 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 04:58:23PM -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> Aran Cox wrote:
>>> I've been using my Sansa E260 with Amarok and I noticed that when I
>>> "Read Device" not all the songs show up in the collection.  It seems
>>> that oggs are identified as "audio/x-vorbis+ogg" so I added that to
>>> the list and now all but a handful of songs show up in the
>>> collection.  I haven't pinnned down exactly which ones are not getting
>>> added but when I do I'll try to figure out why.
>> Aran,
>>
>> Do you know what is providing that mimetype? audio/vorbis and audio/ogg
>> are defined mime types by IANA, and according to Xiph.org*, audio/ogg
>> should be used for Ogg/Vorbis files -- at least, before it got redefined
>> to application/ogg.
>>
>> I can't find anything that thinks x-vorbis+ogg is correct, so getting
>> this fixed at the source would be good.
>>
>> *http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions#.ogg_-_audio.2Fogg
>>
>> --Jeff
>>

> It looks like it's returned by KMimeType::findByFileContent() which is
> a part of kdelibs.  I'm on FC11 and the kdelibs version I have
> installed is kdelibs-4.3.1-3.fc11.i586.  It looks like x-vorbis+ogg is
> defined in a file /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml which
> is provided by the shared-mime-info package on my system.
>
> I have no idea what's right or not of course!

This sounds like an issue i came across a couple years ago with the
gstreamer backend for phonon.

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/phonon/current/SOURCES/phonon-4.2.0-ogg-mime-type.patch?view=markup

I don't think it's exactly the same issue, but the solution could
probably be worked out with the same approach...

If I get some time I'll clean up the patch and commit it upstream. Let
me know if you can fix it using this approach.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie