Amarok 2.2 "Sunjammer" released

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Oct 2 14:04:20 UTC 2009

İşbaran Akçayır wrote:
> Martin Sandsmark wrote On 02-10-2009 15:28:
>> On Friday 2. October 2009 10.09.25 İşbaran Akçayır wrote:
>>> Actually most people are not interested in these fancy stuff..
>> It is good to see that you have done an extensive study on Amarok users and
>> their needs and wants. Care to share the raw data you've collected with us
>> mere mortals? :-)
>
> Oh, so you have done an extensive study, and people think its important
> for a music player to move some widgets or ability to change layout ?

Do you read all of the emails we get? Do you check every single bug
report and feature request we get on Bugzilla? Do you read every review
of Amarok that one can find around the Web?

No, didn't think so.

> then maybe some day it can scan some folders and put them in a playlist,
> and for now a buggy scanning tool and a slow interface is enough ?

If you're having problems with the scanning, file bug reports. In the
meantime, I'm starting to get really annoyed with these random
statements about us not working on bug fixing and how supremely buggy
scanning is, because I've spent the past 9 months doing precious little
*but* fixing bugs, almost entirely within the collection, and reports
from everyone but you is that scanning is working pretty damn well in 2.2.

To put it another way: stop trolling. Now.

> Of course they are fixing bugs, i'm not enemy of developers, maybe i'm
> just too emotional about software i'm using. I cant accept this state of
> amarok.

OK. Go use something else then. Might I suggest exaile, amaroq, or banshee.

>>> I dont really care if i can move the widgets around while amarok starts
>>> in 2-3 minutes, eats 100% cpu while scanning collection, (also freezes
>>> if you want to quit while scanning, leaves collectionscanner process
>>> behind ..) slows down while resizing or changing layouts (this might be
>>> related to kde) etc. etc. ..
>> If you have bugs, see if they're already reported, or report them to the bug
>> tracker, not on the mailing list.
>
> Of course, i just didnt like the "ooh 2.2 is out ! its awesome" shouts,
> cause its not anywhere near 1.4

So go use a 1.4 clone. This is an annoying meme, because it ignores all
the bazillion things that make Amarok 2.2 better simply because some
person's favorite pet feature(s) is(/are) not in Amarok 2.2. And if you
want to see Amarok 2 improve, dumping on it like that is not the right
way to motivate developers.

> Its not like the 90's, people are using linux and of course amarok, (
> they like it because of amarok, or they have to use it :) ) think of all
> the windows head people switching to linux, do you think they know what
> a bug is ?

Windows users? They damn well *should* know what a bug is.

> You're just making assumptions on how your software is,
> its working for you, some geek people are filing bug reports, so it
> should be fine.

Um. A difference between us and Windows? Bug reports for Amarok are in
the open, and so is the progress on them.

--Jeff