Amarok 2.2 "Sunjammer" released

İşbaran Akçayır isbaran at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:16:42 UTC 2009

Martin Sandsmark wrote On 02-10-2009 15:28:
> On Friday 2. October 2009 10.09.25 İşbaran Akçayır wrote:
>> Actually most people are not interested in these fancy stuff..
>
> It is good to see that you have done an extensive study on Amarok users and
> their needs and wants. Care to share the raw data you've collected with us
> mere mortals? :-)

Oh, so you have done an extensive study, and people think its important
for a music player to move some widgets or ability to change layout ?
then maybe some day it can scan some folders and put them in a playlist,
and for now a buggy scanning tool and a slow interface is enough ?
All i said was, functionality is much more important, who cares for
layouts ?.. Kde3 is obsolote, and we need the new amarok ASAP.

>> i've been watching amarok2 from the beginning closely, and i think you
>> should really start concentrating on crashes, performance and important very
>> best and basic functionalities of amarok that people are used to.
>
> So you imply that they haven't been fixing bugs? How do you explain the 654
> closed bugs, then? :-P

Of course they are fixing bugs, i'm not enemy of developers, maybe i'm
just too emotional about software i'm using. I cant accept this state of
amarok.

> I haven't really had Amarok crash in quite a while, which is weird considering
> that I'm following Git. :-D

Yeah its going quite good at crashes, i only had two freezes last week
and thats it, me either didnt have crashes for a few months.

> And in my experience, the performance has been much improved too (for example
> while scanning).
>
> Last but not least this release adds some basic functionalities that people
> are used to, like playing audio cds.

Good :)

>> I dont really care if i can move the widgets around while amarok starts
>> in 2-3 minutes, eats 100% cpu while scanning collection, (also freezes
>> if you want to quit while scanning, leaves collectionscanner process
>> behind ..) slows down while resizing or changing layouts (this might be
>> related to kde) etc. etc. ..
>
> If you have bugs, see if they're already reported, or report them to the bug
> tracker, not on the mailing list.

Of course, i just didnt like the "ooh 2.2 is out ! its awesome" shouts,
cause its not anywhere near 1.4

> And which widget style are you using?
I'm changing styles frequently, already posted a mail that its bespin
and i tried with other styles, but i guess its waiting in queue cause
list is moderated.

>> I love amarok too, i'm proud of it also, but i'm sure i'm not the only
>> person experiencing these major problems, you cant rock the world this
>> way, most of the pple i know, started thinking about another lightweight
>> alternative.
>
> You seem to be the only one, if your bugs aren't already reported. :-P

Its not like the 90's, people are using linux and of course amarok, (
they like it because of amarok, or they have to use it :) ) think of all
the windows head people switching to linux, do you think they know what
a bug is ? You're just making assumptions on how your software is,
its working for you, some geek people are filing bug reports, so it
should be fine.

And asking for my extensive study, think that i'm working in a linux'ed
company, and i get feedbacks and thoughts about free software from lots
of people everyday. Exclude all the years i'm in free software / linux
world, even this should be an enough study, a good view

> And most of the people I know are extremely happy with Amarok 2.2. :-D

:)

>> I'll send bug reports, feedbacks, debug infos in my spare times about
>> these problems
>
> Then the developers will try to track down your bugs and fix them in *their*
> spare time.

i know :) thanks in advance