Shoutcast.com Internet Radio Stations removed from latest Amarok release & Info from Shoutcast

S G sxg9.9999 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:49:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no>wrote:

>  Onsdag 18. november 2009 19.21.55 skrev S G :
> > Yes, I did.  Obviously Jeff has some serious issues, I contacted VLC to
> >  find out what exactly the issue was.  [...] I got a reasonable
> >  explanation, plus a copy of the ToS.
>
> Then why on earth did you ask why Amarok removed Shoutcast?

I just emailed someone at VLC *today* and got their response within a couple
of hours...

> > What role does Jeff have wrt to Amarok/KDE and why is he the one
> responding
> > to entirely legitimate user concerns on behalf of the Amarok group the
> way
> > he has?
>
> He writes very good code, and maintains several integral parts of Amarok.

Well, IMO he should just stick to writing code and probably not respond to
users, as his responses demonstrate that he an arrogant buffoon who's not
got much in the way of manners...he's a real tough guy over email, isn't he?

> > But thank-you for your observations and interpretation of the
> implications;
> > it's the first time that I have received a reasonable explanation, which
> is
> > what I and others have been seeking since the decision not to include SC
> in
> > the software was made.
>
> It doesn't really need any "interpretation", the TOS states quite clearly
> that
> you aren't allowed to distribute the source code of your application (4.4),
> that you need to bundle their toolbar (6.6), and that you need to do free
> advertisement for them (6.x), etc.
>
> But I agree that it would have been nice to just link to the TOS themselves
> when mentioning the removal of Shoutcast, since people apparently don't
> believe the developers. :-P

I did not see the ToS, except for when someone from VLC mailed it to me nor
did I fully understand the implications until I read your explanations
today....I appreciate your time and trouble with this.  I agree that linking
the ToS would have saved everyone a lot of misunderstanding and subsequent
hard feelings...

> --
> Martin T. Sandsmark

Thanks again Martin.