Shoutcast.com Internet Radio Stations removed from latest Amarok release & Info from Shoutcast

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Wed Nov 18 19:20:07 UTC 2009

 Onsdag 18. november 2009 19.21.55 skrev S G :
> Yes, I did.  Obviously Jeff has some serious issues, I contacted VLC to
>  find out what exactly the issue was.  [...] I got a reasonable
>  explanation, plus a copy of the ToS.

Then why on earth did you ask why Amarok removed Shoutcast?

> What role does Jeff have wrt to Amarok/KDE and why is he the one responding
> to entirely legitimate user concerns on behalf of the Amarok group the way
> he has?

He writes very good code, and maintains several integral parts of Amarok.

> But thank-you for your observations and interpretation of the implications;
> it's the first time that I have received a reasonable explanation, which is
> what I and others have been seeking since the decision not to include SC in
> the software was made.

It doesn't really need any "interpretation", the TOS states quite clearly that
you aren't allowed to distribute the source code of your application (4.4),
that you need to bundle their toolbar (6.6), and that you need to do free
advertisement for them (6.x), etc.

But I agree that it would have been nice to just link to the TOS themselves
when mentioning the removal of Shoutcast, since people apparently don't
believe the developers. :-P

--
Martin T. Sandsmark