Question about capturing webcast radio stations

Jan Holthuis jan at holmek.de
Mon May 25 06:35:20 UTC 2009

Am Montag, 25. Mai 2009 08:10:59 schrieb steven robinson:
> There is a plugin for amarok 1 to rip streams. I haven't tried it but I am
> told it works well.
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=32842

And why do you post that on the official mailing list? The Amarok developers
have _nothing_ to do with that. It's a script written by some random person
and it's way more helpful for all of us if you ask the person itself.

> This sounds like a good project for somebody to write a plasma applet for
> amarok 2.

Feel free to implement such a plasmoid. I'm almost sure that the Amarok devs
won't.

> PS: assuming that people are trying to illegally rip copyrighted content is
> an outrageous assertion and unworthy of this list. There is plenty of
> copylefted music out there. I never thought I'd hear "sharing music is
> always illegal" here - do you think that only programmers release their
> work under free licenses? I am shocked by the attitudes I am reading from
> some people here. Is this a FOSS list or an RIAA one?

If the music we're talking about was under a free license, it's likely that
you can download the tracks directly instead of ripping them from a radio
stream.

> Also, talking about trying to interface amarok to a stream ripper is hardly
> off topic in an amarok list.

It is.