Not playing songs with spaces in file names?

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Thu May 14 22:43:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Jeff Mitchell at 14/05/09 12:41 did gyre and gimble:
> > Martin T. Sandsmark wrote:
> >> Yay, let's revive ARtS! Only this time, it's new, and only have half of
> the
> >> features! :-D
> >
> > There's been a libvlc backend in the works for some time, which should
> > also rock, given that VLC is pretty solid and it's cross platform.
>
> I hope so, but I just can't see why libraries that are (very) good for
> output (xine and vlc) are being considered as a solution for a system
> that is meant to be for both input and output which is what Phonon aims
> to be.
>
> Gstreamer just fits so perfectly into the goals of Phonon that I can't
> really see why people don't want to use it!

I want to use what works. The gstreamer-phonon engine has problems that make
Amarok worse to use. Therefore, I don't use it, and use phonon-xine. I also
tellpeople who have issues with the phonon-gstreamer engine to switch to
phonon-xine. I am all for purity of purpose and elegance, but only to the
point where it doesn't impact my ability to actually *use* my computer. Or
listen to music.

leo

Leo Franchi
7016 Wandering Oak          lfranchi at kde.org
Austin                        leonardo.franchi at tufts.edu
            cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125