Not playing songs with spaces in file names?

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu May 14 22:52:59 UTC 2009

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jeff Mitchell at 14/05/09 12:41 did gyre and gimble:
>> Martin T. Sandsmark wrote:
>>> Yay, let's revive ARtS! Only this time, it's new, and only have half of the
>>> features! :-D
>> There's been a libvlc backend in the works for some time, which should
>> also rock, given that VLC is pretty solid and it's cross platform.
>
> I hope so, but I just can't see why libraries that are (very) good for
> output (xine and vlc) are being considered as a solution for a system
> that is meant to be for both input and output which is what Phonon aims
> to be.

I don't understand the problem.  If you need input -- which most (all?)
Phonon applications so far don't -- just switch your backend.  Or have
Phonon automatically use a different backend if your current one doesn't
support input.  You *can* have multiple backends installed, you know.
In fact, like most situations in which you have options and choices,
it's beneficial.

> Gstreamer just fits so perfectly into the goals of Phonon that I can't
> really see why people don't want to use it!

Sure.  And it's hugely buggy (both Gstreamer and the Phonon backend for
it), and the backend is currently not well maintained.  So until that
situation is fixed (none of us have time to hack on it), we're
recommending other backends that *do* work well.

--Jeff