Not playing songs with spaces in file names?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu May 14 00:41:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:36:44AM +1000, Ben K wrote:
> I assume you're using Gnome, based on the fact that you can't find KDE sound
> engine settings.

Correct.

> Ironically enough the easiest way to do what you describe is outside of
> Amarok. Nautilus will preview a song if you hover over it for a few seconds.
> If you configure your Gnome file associations such that mp3
> (ogg/flac/whatever) files have a default action of append to playlist in
> Amarok, you can then double click the files you like the sound of and add
> them in Amarok.

Yes that works.  I can also drag from Nautilus to Amarok directly --
either single songs or an entire directory.  It's faster to preview an
entire directory (e.g. an album) in Amarok than with Nautilus.

What I'm finding is I want to be able to add to multiple play lists as
I go through the collection.  So what I have is a few folders on my
desktop where I drag symlinks.  Then I use those to create the final
playlist.

> Anyone got any ideas for a way to do similar in Amarok itself? I personally
> think this is rare use case / weird way to build a playlist but everyone's
> different I guess. No offense is intended, Bill. I know most of what I want
> to listen to already as I'm familiar with a lot of my library.

I'm building a playlist for an eight hour party.  No, not the kind
that needs a DJ.  And the group will span the 2 to 60 years old age so
need to have a wide mix and something for everyone.  If it was just a
playlist for me that would be easier.

What I'm missing is a late dance collection for the middle-agers that
always seem to stay to the end. I only have so much ABBA. ;)

--
Bill Moseley.
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt