Not playing songs with spaces in file names?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed May 13 21:07:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 04:16:04PM -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Bill Moseley wrote:

> >> Sounds like a phonon engine problem. Try using xine which shouldn't
> >> have an issue with this.
> >
> > Well, I'm new to Amarok2.  There's a "Settings" menu with "Configure
> > Shortcuts" and "Configure Amarok".  Under Configure Amarok is
> > "Playback", where I would expect to see that setting.  But, there I
> > see only "Fadeout on track end" and "Miscellaneous - Resume playback
> > on start".
> >
> > Is there a menu someplace I'm missing?
> >
> > I'm running Amarok on Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome desktop.
>
> It's possible that the link to the configuration dialog was added for
> 2.1.  Try opening systemsettings (that's the name of the executable) and
> go to Multimedia.  Then click the Backend tab.  If you don't have xine,
> you'll need to install the phonon-xine package (I think that's the
> name).  You might also want to try removing a phonon-pulseaudio package,
> if you find one.

I installed "systemsettings", but when I open it it's a blank window
with only a "search" box on top.

moseley at bumby2:~$ dpkg -l | grep phonon
ii  libphonon4                                 4:4.3.1-0ubuntu3                        Phonon multimedia framework for Qt 4
ii  phonon                                     4:4.3.1-0ubuntu3                        metapackage for Phonon multimedia framework
ii  phonon-backend-gstreamer                   4:4.3.1-0ubuntu3                        Phonon GStreamer 0.10.x backend

moseley at bumby2:~$ dpkg -l | grep pulse
ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio                   0.10.14-1                               GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  libpulse-browse0                           1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      PulseAudio client libraries (zeroconf suppor
ii  libpulse0                                  1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      PulseAudio client libraries
rc  libpulsecore5                              0.9.10-2ubuntu9.3                       PulseAudio sound server core
ii  libpulsecore9                              1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      PulseAudio sound server core
ii  pulseaudio                                 1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-esound-compat                   1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer
ii  pulseaudio-module-gconf                    1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      GConf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-hal                      1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      HAL device detection module for PulseAudio s
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11                      1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils                           1:0.9.14-0ubuntu20                      Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound
ii  xmms2-plugin-pulse                         0.5DrLecter-2ubuntu3                    XMMS2 - pulseaudio output plugin

I started to remove pulse, but it will also remove ubuntu-desktop,
which is not recommended as it is used for managing upgrades.

Ah, the joys of Linux audio. ;)