Not playing songs with spaces in file names?

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed May 13 20:16:04 UTC 2009

Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:34:32PM -0400, Orville Bennett wrote:
>> On May 12, 2009, at 8:37 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed some songs are not playing so spent some time with amarok -d
>>> to see if there was something obvious.  Only thing I noticed were that
>>> the songs that failed to play had spaces.  I didn't think that was
>>> likely.
>> Sounds like a phonon engine problem. Try using xine which shouldn't
>> have an issue with this.
>
> Well, I'm new to Amarok2.  There's a "Settings" menu with "Configure
> Shortcuts" and "Configure Amarok".  Under Configure Amarok is
> "Playback", where I would expect to see that setting.  But, there I
> see only "Fadeout on track end" and "Miscellaneous - Resume playback
> on start".
>
> Is there a menu someplace I'm missing?
>
> I'm running Amarok on Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome desktop.

It's possible that the link to the configuration dialog was added for
2.1.  Try opening systemsettings (that's the name of the executable) and
go to Multimedia.  Then click the Backend tab.  If you don't have xine,
you'll need to install the phonon-xine package (I think that's the
name).  You might also want to try removing a phonon-pulseaudio package,
if you find one.

--Jeff