Album Year vs. Track Year

Stuart Neill stuart.neill at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 27 01:30:05 UTC 2009

Thus far, I have refrained from any Amarok 2 knocking to allow it to settle in
and give the developers a chance to show a reasonably complete product. Today
however I read something in a GSOC thread that leads me to believe that Amarok
2 may never replace Amarok 1 in my affections.

"The year tag is stored in the album table and not in the track table"

One of the joys of Amarok was that I could select on the year, shuffle (both the
tracks and myself :-) ) and party like it was ... um 1939, 1949 ...2009. This
will not now be possible.

For almost all single-artist compilation albums and for many multi-artist
compilation albums, the album release date is of minor importance when
compared with the original release date. Personally, I find it a little
disconcerting to see Fred Astaire, Edith Piaff, Elvis Presley etc. only
appearing alongside dates long after they joined "the choir invisible".

I would like the schema to be changed. However, as neither the developers nor
users seem to have identified this issue as a problem, I wonder how many other
users habitually tag dates at track level.

--
Stuart Neill